Preventive dental care is important throughout your life, no matter your age. By practicing good oral hygiene at home and scheduling regular checkups with your dentist, you can help keep your smile bright and healthy for many years to come. Here are a few simple ways that you can prevent the build-up of plaque and cavities:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Use fluoride toothpaste to remove food particles and plaque from the tooth surfaces. Also, be sure to brush the top surface of your tongue; this will remove any extra plaque-causing food particles, and help keep your breath fresh!
- Clean between your teeth by flossing at least once a day. You can also use a mouthwash to help kill bacteria and freshen your breath. Decay-causing bacteria can linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can’t reach. Floss and mouthwash will help remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Eat a balanced diet, and try to avoid extra-sugary treats. Nutritious foods such as raw vegetables, plain yogurt, cheese, or fruit can help keep your smile healthy.
- Remember to schedule regular checkups with your dentist every six months for professional teeth cleaning.
- Ask your dentist about dental sealants, protective plastic coatings that can be applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth where decay often starts.
- If you play sports, be sure to ask your dentist about special mouthguards designed to protect your smile.
The cost of health care continues to rise in the U.S. Some patients avoid going to their dentist because of it. However, avoiding preventive dental care will only end in significant and costly dental issues later. A regular dental visit may entail a professional fee. However, regular visits can help you save money over time. Here are some things you need to know about preventive dental care.
Importance of Preventive Care
Our dentists at Fallbrook Village Dental, Dr. Ed Stewart, DMD and Dr. Jordan Colby, DMD, may advise that you visit our dental office every six months. In some cases, they may require dental visits every three months.
Identify Dental Issues Early
One of the reasons you must see your dentist regularly is for routine checkups. They help dentists identify issues early. It is necessary to catch the disease early because it is easier to treat at this stage. Any dental treatments now could cost less than if the disease is treated in its late phase. For instance, if you have tooth decay but your dentist caught it during an examination, a dental filling may be enough to restore your tooth’s health. However, if you failed to come in for your routine checkup, the decay might progress and affect the root of your tooth, causing an infection. During this stage, the infection is advanced – and, of course, it requires costly treatment, like root canal therapy.
A root canal is cheaper than a dental implant but costlier than a filling. If you had visited Fallbrook Village Dental every three or six months, you would have saved money. Preventive dental care also involves the removal of plaque that can cause tooth decay. During a routine checkup, our hygienist will perform a regular dental cleaning to prevent tooth decay from emerging in the first place. Regular dental cleaning is vital to protecting your teeth from cavities. Remember, cavities can lead to periodontal disease. This is especially important if you have diabetes or heart disease. Gum disease can be screened during a dental examination.
Dental Sealants and Their Role in Preventing Tooth Decay
Sealants play a huge part in preventative density. They can minimize the future costs of dental procedures. Brushing and flossing can prevent tooth decay. Unfortunately, however, they cannot reach some parts of the tooth, where bacteria can settle in. These organisms can create holes in your teeth. During a routine checkup, our dentists may apply dental sealants to give your teeth added protection against bacteria. Dental sealants are known to prevent or reduce tooth decay. Those who did not receive sealants as children were more likely to get cavities than were kids who received them. For that reason, our dentists and hygienists at Fallbrook Village Dental prescribe sealants for all children. Some adults may also avail themselves of this preventive care option, depending on their particular case. Getting sealants is a quick and painless procedure. Expertise is required to properly put sealants on the teeth. Our dentists have years of experience in this area and can boost the lasting effect of your sealant.
As long as you perform excellent oral health maintenance, sealants may need to be applied only after a few years. If your dentist at Fallbrook Village Dental recommends it, you must seriously consider it. It can save you not just money but also time and pain that might arise later. Preventive care is vital to protecting your teeth from dental cavities. Contact our dentists or hygienists today to learn more about how you can take advantage of our preventive dentistry services. Call us at (760) 723-3535.